The solution for OACAS was to subscribe to Office 365 in order to use SharePoint Online and use Extranet User Manager (EUM) with Office 365 integration to create and manage external user accounts. Along with these tools, the branding and navigation was customized to provide the desired user experience. This has been populated with content and rolled out internally at OACAS, with full rollout to all 8,000 OACAS members in Spring 2015. Watch our customer case study video below.
While OACAS could have used the free external sharing provided to all Office 365 users, they wanted more governance and control over the external users and their experience. Rather than requiring the users to sign into the Members Portal with a Microsoft login on a Microsoft branded login page, they wanted to ensure that users registered with an email that matched their member organization's domain, and that they were placed in the appropriate group for that organization. Using a customized version of the EUM registration page made this possible. Branding of the whole experience reflected the OACAS brand, including the login page.
A significant benefit of OACAS being a registered charity subscribing to Office 365 is that they are entitled to an unlimited amount of Office 365 E1 licenses at no cost. By leveraging this, OACAS was able to obtain 8,000 E1 licenses for the association's members. OACAS subscribed to the Azure-hosted version of EUM with Office 365 integration which provides them with an easy to use tool for creating and managing the external user accounts, including automated provisioning of the corresponding Azure AD accounts and assigning the Office 365 licenses. The solution did not require any additional hardware or the associated maintenance.
Extranet User Manager was implemented to address a number of OACAS's extranet needs including:
- The ability to have all of their extranet self-service pages (registration, login, forgot password, update profile, change password) branded, externally published, and accessible.
- The EUM Administrative Interface allowed their internal team to activate external users and manage their SharePoint site access. Once approved, extranet users were given the ability to access the Members Portal, update their profile information, and change their password.
- The responsive design ensured that all extranet users could interact with the EUM pages regardless of whether they were using a desktop, tablet, or mobile device. All extranet pages conformed to the look and feel of the OACAS corporate branding.
EUM enabled single sign-on between Office 365 and Desire2Learn, which allowed users access to both applications with a single account. Upon registering for the OACAS portal, EUM utilizes the Desire2Learn API to create an account for the user. This account is associated with their OACAS profile and grants the user single sign-on.
In addition to the EUM features that were added, other site improvements were made to the extranet including:
- Customized top, left, and breadcrumb navigation was developed to render based on the configuration in SharePoint's underlying Term Store
- Friendly URLs were defined to implement the site structure through a single site and the Term Store
More Nonprofit Resources
Take a browse through all of our Nonprofit content in one spot:
For more information about the many benefits of being a registered charity running Office 365 see:
We are thrilled to announce that our solution used for OACAS has won the Metalogix Best of Breed Award for Best Implementation of a Governance or Security Solution for SharePoint, see the full award page: