MISA Ontario InfoSec Conference 2022
AZURE AD B2B RESOURCES
Stay in the loop
NEWSLETTER SIGN UP
The Municipal Information Systems Association, Ontario (MISA Ontario) InfoSec Conference will take place in the City of Guelph from October 31 - November 2, 2022. This conference offers a unique opportunity to get direct knowledge from other municipalities on their approach to cybersecurity and gain insight into security issues, trends and case studies from industry experts.
Peter Carson, President of Envision IT has been selected as a chosen speaker on the following topic surrounding a data collection portal we have built out for MBNCanada. See below details on the session.
Building a Microsoft 365 based Municipal Data Collection and Members Portal with MBNCanada
When it comes to managing large amounts of data it doesn't have to be complicated. MBNCanada currently tracks services from 13 partner municipalities with over 700 performance measures of municipal service delivery across 36 municipal areas, with goals to continually expand. This was previously done with a legacy data warehouse initially launched in 2004.
As reporting needs evolved, it became evident MBN Canada needed to build a data warehouse portal that would provide an excellent user experience, with functionalities such as audit trails, customized permission setting, navigation and export functions. The data warehouse serves not only as a repository for tracking these performance points, but also as a central spot for both MBNCanada and partner municipalities to export data and build out customized report visualizations. Overall project objectives included:
- Single portal and sign-on for communications, panel planning, collection of measures data, and reporting / visualizations
- Simple and easy for MBNCanada staff, Municipal Leads, and all Service Area Experts to use
- Delegation of user setup and role assignment for each municipality to the Municipal Leads
- Eliminate manual work associated with data restatements and preparation of the Annual Report
For this new portal Envision IT utilized Microsoft Teams, SharePoint Online, Excel Online, Power BI, and also Extranet User Manager's product suite to make it that much easier to input data and create reports. Learn from Peter Carson, CEO and innovator of Envision IT, and Meighan Finlay, Executive Director of MBNCanada about how the new portal manages data collection and streamlines business practices.
This session will include details on the overall solution:
- New MBN Canada portal for all members
- Users sign in easily with their own organizational credentials or an emailed one-time passcode – no new passwords to remember
- Municipal leads manage their members and the roles they have
- Excel Online is used to enter the measures
- Co-authoring allows multiple municipal members to work at the same time
- Rich online data dictionary
- Ability for municipalities to extend their version of the data dictionary with data source notes
- Power BI online dashboard and live reporting
Meighan Finlay, Executive Director of MBNCanada, works with the MBN Canada Board Members, Municipal Leads and service area experts in supporting excellence in municipal service delivery.