Peter Carson Speaking at TSPUG on Site Provisioning Automation
Have a question?
Wednesday, January 17, 2018
6:00 - 8:30 PM
Navantis - 21 Randolph Avenue, Suite 200, Toronto
Peter Carson will be the featured speaker at the January 17 meeting of the Toronto SharePoint Users Group. The Toronto SharePoint Users Group (TSPUG) launched in 2006 to support the SharePoint community in southern Ontario. They meet on the third Wednesday of each month at Navantis (21 Randolph Avenue, Suite 200) in downtown Toronto. Each meeting features a catered social, Q&A, and a featured presentation . Everyone is welcome to attend this free event!
Topic: Site Provisioning Automation with PowerApps, Flow, and PowerShell
Self-service site requests in SharePoint is a feature that power users want, but administrators often restrict. The problem is that with no governance in place, site sprawl can quickly get out of hand and all sense of governance in a SharePoint installation is gone.
The answer for many organizations is to restrict SharePoint site creation to IT administrators only. IT then becomes a bottleneck, causing frustration on both sides. Business users, often frustrated by delays, turn to their own shadow IT solutions, or revert back to file shares.
To solve this issue a self-service mechanism is needed that balances governance and automation. Extranet User Manager has published an open source solution that provides the foundation to solve these problems. Highlights of the solution are:
- SharePoint list to request, track, and manage SharePoint site collections and sites, including modern team sites, communication sites, and Office 365 Groups
- PowerApps form to customize the site request form experience
- Flow workflow to manage the approval and site creation initiation
- PowerShell scripts to create the list, populate with existing sites, and create new sites
- Azure Functions to host and run the PowerShell scripts in the cloud
- Azure Key Vault to securely manage the service credentials